If Executive Chef David Harker is at the grill, you may find him making grilled Jerk chicken wings for his family. The dish, native to Jamaica, combines spicy and smoky flavors that will amp up your next chicken dinner. If you’re looking to get inspired to grill, check out this exclusive interview with Chef.
Grilled Jerk Chicken Wings
- Fresh Jumbo Chicken Wings
- Busha Browne’s Authentic Jerk Seasoning paste (or make your own). Note: This product is from Jamaica, DO NOT use dry spices, as it’s not traditional.
- Yellow Onion, peeled and sliced
- Green Onions
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pickled Grilled Pineapple Relish (recipe below)
- Pickapeppa Mango Sauce (recipe below)
- Italian Parsley
First, marinate the wings liberally in Jamaican jerk paste, onions and olive oil for 24-hours.
Char chicken on an open flame grill. Then, finish in a 350º onion until cooked through (165º internal temperature).
Serve with a side of quick pickled grilled pineapple relish and Pickapeppa mango sauce (recipes below), extra charred lime and fresh chopped Italian parsley.
Quick Pickled Pineapple Relish
- Grilled Green Onions, whole
- Charred Limes
- Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Italian Parsley
First peel and slice the pineapple in 1/2 inch thick pieces lengthwise. Lightly oil and grill over an open flame.
Do the same for the celery, green onions and limes.
Cool all ingredients, the cut all ingredients into cubes.
After ingredients are cooled, add sliced (or diced) heirloom cherry tomatoes, chopped parsley, salt and pepper.
Finally, squeeze charred lime juice over mixture.
Let marry for 30 minutes, and chill before serving with Jerk chicken wings.
Mango Pickapeppa Sauce
Start by bringing to a boil a ratio of 1 to 2 Pickapeppa sauce and mango nectar in a saucepan.
Simmer to reduce to a glaze consistency.
Finally, remove from heat and mount with a chilled butter. Serve alongside Jerk chicken wings.
DIY Jerk Seasoning Paste:
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 4 scallions, cut in to 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme
- 1 Scotch bonnet or Habanero Chili
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs distilled white vinegar
- 1 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt to taste
First, combine all ingredients (except salt) in blender or food processor, and pulse into a fine paste.
Finish with salt. Use in the marinade for Jerk chicken wings.
Looking to up the heat? Add more chilies and allspice.