“It is all about memories right? Simple pieces of your childhood resonate through the back-porch of our minds just waiting to be brought to the forefront to mold…..well…..you,” Chef Daven Wardynski, Executive Chef at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort recalled.
“One such memory will forever live with me and my family. My mom’s side of the family (Frent) has a rich history of playfulness at the holiday dinner table. We are rooted with hard work that is often offset with jovial (and mischievous) points of family as the release. Our dinner rolls (recipe attached) serve more than just the guests at the table, but also the foundation for time past. They are simple, but the memory is not.”
Grandpa Frent’s Soft Rolls
2 ½ cups whole milk
4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp. salt
4 ½ tsp. yeast
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
6 cups flour
1. Dissolve the sugar, salt and yeast in warm milk.
2. Transfer to KitchenAid mixer with paddle attachment.
3. Add the melted butter and egg.
4. Slowly incorporate the flour while running on low speed 1/2 cup at a time until all incorporated.
5. Replace with dough hook and run on medium speed for 8-10 minutes.
6. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
7. Now to form the rolls, punch the dough down and portion at about 2 oz.
8. Roll into balls and place close to each other on a sheet pan.
9. Allow to rise for 15 minutes.
10. Cover with damp towel and again allow to rise for about an hour in a warm place (or until doubled in size).
11. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
12. Bake proofed, panned rolls at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
For more #OmniFeast recipes, click here.
Executive Chef Daven Wardynski has led the culinary team at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort since October 2012, overseeing nine restaurants as well as conference food and beverage operations. With more than 17 years of experience in the culinary world, Wardynski began his career at the legendary TRU in Chicago, serving as sous chef under celebrity chef Rick Tramonto. Prior to accepting the position at Omni Amelia Island Plantation, he was the executive chef at Omni Chicago Hotel for a number of years. Due to his emphasis on supporting local purveyors and his passion for fresh, quality ingredients, Chef Wardynski has received multiple honors from the American Culinary Federation, including a Gold Medal in the Chicago National Restaurant show along with coverage in such media outlets as Oprah Radio, Condé Nast Traveler, Travel + Leisure, Cooking Light, and Food & Wine.