Routed deep into Pittsburgh’s heritage David L. Clark’s original candy bar recipe remains a Pittsburgh original classic. In 1990 the community rallied to keep the tradition in Pittsburgh when the company considered moving its manufacturing plant to Chicago. Pittsburgher’s hold claim to the candy bar with great pride, it remains a staple item at many amusement parks and sporting venues across southern Pennsylvania and inspired Omni William Penn
‘s Pecan Clark Bar Pie
. (More “Perfecting Pie” Recipes
Pecan Clark Bar Pie
10 Tbsp Butter
1/4 cup Bourbon
5 cups Toasted pecans
1 1/2 cups Corn Syrup
16 oz Brown sugar
4 Clark Bars, Crushed
1 tsp Salt
4 tsp Vanilla
6 Eggs, Lightly beaten
1. Combine sugar, syrup, salt and butter in a pot and bring to boil. Stir often after about 2 minutes.
2. Add pecans, remove from heat. Add bourbon and vanilla. Let cool a few minutes and then gently fold in egg mixture.
3. Place the filling in a rectangular mold and bake for 35-40 minutes.
|This pie has no crust and is gluten free. If you do not have a mold you can bake directly in pie pan or make pie dough and bake in a crust.
3 Egg whites
3/4 cup White sugar
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
1. Whip the eggs with the cream of tartar, add the sugar slowly and whip until stiff peaks form.
2. Cut the baked filling with a square mold and pipe the meringue on top. Burn with torch and sprinkle crushed Clark Bar pieces on top.
|Chef Luke Debisschop was born and raised in Connecticut and started cooking at the age of 16. He is a proud graduate of Johnson & Wales (2008) with a Bachelors degree in Food Service Management and Associates in Culinary Arts. Currently, Debisschop serves as Chef de Cuisine at the historic Omni William Penn Hotel in Pittsburgh, PA. Before joining the Omni team, he was the sous chef at F.S. Food Group and the Pewter Rose Bistro in Charlotte N.C. Chef’s two children love to cook and are helpful in the kitchen, even with creatively plating dishes. Chef’s parents taught him that hard work and dedication almost always equals success. One day Chef Luke hopes to hike and eat his way through Europe and Asia.