Lady Bird Lake is a reservoir of the Colorado River that cuts through the middle of Austin, just south of downtown. It is bordered by the Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail which features a mile long boardwalk on the lake's southern rim. It was known as Town Lake until 2007 when it was renamed in honor of former First Lady Lady Bird Johnson who was committed to transforming the lake into a fun and beautiful recreation area. The lake and trail both offer amazing views of the Austin skyline. In addition to the scenic views, the lake offers a multitude of fun activities for all ages including kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, fishing and more. For those who want to stay dry, Zilker Park borders the lake and offers sand volleyball courts, music venues and other activities.
Things to Know Before You Go to Lady Bird Lake
- Hours: 5:00 a.m. - midnight
- Street parking is available on S. Lakeshore Blvd.
- Omni Austin Hotel at Southpark is located about five miles from the lake
- Keep an eye out for western-style belts emblazoned with famous country song lyrics installed on the Boardwalk Trail
- The Boardwalk Trail is full of bikers and runners so watch your kids to avoid any crashes
- Kayak, paddleboard and other boat rentals are available around the lake. Click below to learn more.
Learn more about Lady Bird Lake.
Lady Bird Lake Bike Tour
This informative, easy two-hour tour of nine miles starts at Barton Springs and makes its way around on the hike-n-bike loop trail, including the new boardwalk, Zilker Park, Butler Park and Congress bridge.
Retreat to Romance Package
Get away to Austin with your special someone and enjoy a bottle of Chandon sparkling wine, romantic turndown, a $100 cuisine and cocktail credit, late check-out and a pre-call from concierge to assist with any special romantic requests.