OMNI HOTELS & RESORTS AND CHEF CHERYL FORBERG LAUNCH HEALTHY TRAVEL VIDEO SERIES
Award-Winning Chef, Bestselling Author and Omni Hotels & Resorts Brand Nutritionist Partner to Provide Healthy Tips for Travelers
DALLAS, TX (August 27, 2014)
– Omni Hotels & Resorts
and Cheryl Forberg, R.D., have created a seven-part “Healthy Travel Series” that provides insightful advice to help travelers make better wellness and lifestyle choices while on the road. As most travelers know, it can be easy to fall out of a routine when on the go, and slip into unhealthy habits. However, with a little planning ahead and a few quick and easy tips addressed in the “Healthy Travel Series,” those in transit can maintain their diet and exercise regimen with little hassle. Chef Forberg, also Omni’s brand nutritionist, is one of the nation’s leading authorities on nutrition, a James Beard award-winning chef, and nutritionist for NBC’s The Biggest Loser
“The trifecta of travel is to maintain a healthy diet, get plenty of sleep, and exercise, while on the road. Studies suggest that eating the right food, combined with exercise, can improve energy levels, focus, and even leadership skills,” said Chef Forberg. “Travelers with busy schedules often think they are too tired to make smart, healthy food choices or make time for exercise, when in reality, it’s exactly the opposite. Eating the right foods, at the right time, combined with exercise, can keep metabolism and energy levels higher for when you need it most throughout the day.”
The new video series focuses on healthy travel tips that are easy and simple to follow. The first three of seven videos can be viewed at www.omnihotels.com/chef-cheryl-forberg
. Over the next several months, additional videos will be available offering new healthy travel tips. In these initial videos, Chef Forberg shares insights focused on healthy eating and exercise while “in-transit.” Some of her suggestions include:
Pack for Health and Fitness
Lack of preparation is what often influences travelers to fall out of their routines. With a little planning, it is easy to stay healthy on the go.
- Think about travel food choices before departure – Pack high-protein trail mix or whole grain cereals to eat along the way. If stuck in an airport, avoid the burger and fries; instead, choose an apple with a cheese stick, or pack a turkey sandwich. Eat healthy, high-energy foods that will keep metabolism levels up for added energy.
- Make a fitness plan – It only takes a few minutes. Pack workout shoes and clothes. Travelers enrolled in Omni Hotels & Resorts' complimentary Select Guest loyalty program have access to Stay Well amenities including dietary, fitness and sleep comfort options. Members can simply update their profile to include a range of personal preferences to enjoy during their stay and can specify a fitness interest—from a spinning class, yoga, boot camp or Pilates—and will receive a fitness plan in their key packet with local, handpicked exercise studio locations and times.
“Exercising on the road is not hard when you build a workout into your routine every day. When you do, it becomes habit. You don’t have to do your full routine, as even simple exercises will make a difference,” said Chef Forberg. “In fact, changing up an exercise routine is good. New routines use different muscles, and are an opportunity to add some variety into your fitness plan.”
Samples of Chef Forberg’s travel workouts include:
- Get Fit Kit – Omni guests may request an Omni Get Fit Kit that includes two, 2-pound weights, a floor mat, bottle of water, and an AM/FM headset. Participating hotels also offer Get Fit rooms equipped with a treadmill.
- Easy exercises – Squats, push-ups, lunges, sit-ups, and planks are easy calisthenics. Even yoga poses help with strength training and stretching. In addition, do at least 100 jumping jacks. Getting the heart rate up is key.
- Low-impact options – Mobility exercises can keep the body loose. Neck rolls, rounding the back and breathing deeply all keep joints moving and increase blood flow. For those looking to de-stress from traveling, try visualization or meditation. Often, visualization and meditation can leave a guest feeling better focused than when they left home.
- Utilize the hotel gym – As a fitness-focused hotel brand, Omni offers state-of-the-art gyms in many of its locations with various equipment and fitness choices.
- Park and walk – If guests arrive at an Omni by car, consider leaving the car parked at the hotel and then walk to the day’s destination.
- Take the stairs – Look for stairwells, in lieu of taking the elevator, as they are perfect for interval training. Stairs provide added exercise for guests who are working throughout the day and may not have the time to dedicate to a workout.
- Go for a run – Upon request, Omni Concierges can assist guests with the best running paths near a hotel.
- Schedule outdoor activities – Omni can arrange a variety of action-packed activities, as well as sightseeing opportunities. Guests can zip line at Omni Mount Washington Resort, or hike in the majestic scenery of Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa.
- Walk, don’t ride – Guests staying at any of the Omni Golf Resorts playing one of their 21 championship golf courses should consider ditching the cart and walking the 18 holes – not only a great workout, but also a great way to take in the scenery.
For more healthy travel tips, visit www.omnihotels.com/chef-cheryl-forberg. For additional information or to book accommodations, guests may visit omnihotels.com or call 1-800-The-Omni. Travelers or media can also follow Omni at Facebook.com/OmniHotels or Twitter.com/OmniHotels.
About Omni Hotels & Resorts
Omni Hotels & Resorts creates genuine, authentic guest experiences at 60 distinct luxury hotels and resorts in leading business gateways and leisure destinations across North America. With over 20 world-class golf courses and award-winning spa retreats, to dynamic business settings, each Omni showcases the local flavor of the destination while featuring four-diamond services, signature restaurants, Wi-Fi connectivity and unique wellness options. Known for its distinguished, personalized service, Omni leaves a lasting impression with every customer interaction, with a heightened level of recognition and rewards delivered through its Select Guest loyalty program and the company’s “Power of One” associate empowerment program. The brand is frequently recognized by top consumer research organizations and travel publications. To get additional information or book accommodations, visit omnihotels.com
or call 1-800-The-Omni.
About Cheryl Forberg
Cheryl Forberg’s work as the nutritionist for the NBC show The Biggest Loser
is viewed by millions. A James Beard Award-winning chef and New York Times
bestselling author, Chef Cheryl is the go-to source for healthy cooking, from soup to nuts – literally. Her latest book “Flavor First: Cut Calories and Boost Flavor with 75 Delicious, All-Natural Recipes” is an example of her passion for creating simple delicious meals that just happen to be healthy. She brings knowledge, expertise and genuine warmth in all she does, whether as an inventive chef or a trusted nutrition advisor.