Although there is some question as to the origin of the Key Lime Pie, it has been traced back to the early 20th century in the Key West, Florida area. So it seems only appropriate today that Chef Robert Ash of the Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate takes the Key Lime Pie and makes it his own for “Perfecting Pie”… We hope you enjoy his Florida Key Lime Pie creation. (More “Perfecting Pie” Recipes)
Florida Key Lime Pie
1.5 lbs Sweetened condensed milk
2 oz egg yolks
3 oz Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Juice
Combine all ingredients together and set aside.
2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
4 Tbsp Butter, melted
1/4 cup Coconut, shredded
1. Combine dry ingredients and drizzle in the butter and mix well.
2. Spray pan 9-inch pan with pan spray.
3. Press into bottom of your 9-inch cake pan, coming up the side half way.
|To remove from the pan easier, freeze the pie then torch or place the pan in a hot water bath for a minute then flip upside down onto a flat plate or tray, then invert back onto service plate|
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Pour the filling into the pan 3/4 to the top of the pan and place into the oven to bake for an hour.
3. Check pie by inserting a pairing knife or butter knife. If it comes out fairly clean and center of pie is firm, take pie out and let it cool completely. If not add more time and check every 5-10 minutes.
4. When cooled completely, remove from cake pan, cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream and fresh berries.
|Executive Chef Robert Ash‘s road traveled through both the savory and pastry kitchen. Learning both of these very different schools of culinary concept required a prolonged apprenticeship, a mind both critical and creative as well as an absolute understanding of culinary art. Chef Ash has mastered both fields and the result is experienced in the unusual depth and richness of his cuisine. While many chefs from the savory kitchen find pastry creation to be a mystery and vice versa, Chef Ash brings the precision of a pastry chef and soaring imagination of a savory chef to any kitchen he enters.Chef Ash’s career has led him to Orlando, Florida as Executive Chef of Omni’s ChampionsGate Resort – With excellence being the only expectation facing Chef Ash, he has been empowered to build a menu that has no boundaries or nationalities, but driven by the complexity of tastes and the depth of the palate. Chef Ash’s creations are complemented exquisitely by the grand elegance that the historical hotel brings. Whether it is a banquet of 2000 or a chef’s table for 10 his exactitude for precision and detail is never missed.|