The Indianapolis Zoo is located just outside of Downtown Indianapolis
in the center of the White River State Park and only minutes from the Historic Omni Severin Hotel. The current Indianapolis Zoo opened to the public in June of 1988 with the main focus to “empower people and communities, both locally and globally, to advance animal conservation.” In 2014 it celebrated its 50th anniversary and is the largest privately funded zoo in the country, relying heavily on the generosity of its donors.
The Indianapolis Zoo is a 64-acre complex with over 2,000 animals and 16,000 plant specimens. It is home to African elephants, rhinos, dolphins, orangutans, bears, sharks and many more! The Indianapolis Zoo opened the nation’s only under water dolphin viewing dome in 2005. You can view dolphins from 17 feet underwater without getting wet! In 2014 the Indianapolis Zoo opened the Simon Skjodt International Orangutan Center. Eight orangutans moved to Indy, and they’re now swinging 80 feet above your head. This incredible facility has received nationwide media attention and is being called one of the most significant zoo exhibits anywhere in the world.
The Indianapolis Zoo is truly a gem for the residents and visitors of Indianapolis to enjoy.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Purchase advance tickets online to lock in the lowest ticket price. You'll save more by selecting days that have lower attendance, and the farther in advance you buy the more you will save. Purchasing tickets in advance also allows you to skip the ticket windows when you visit.
- Be aware that some animals may prefer to stay in their climate controlled indoor facilities if there are extreme temperatures outside. The best time to visit is in the spring or fall when temperatures are more mild.
- The majority of the Zoo is outside so be sure to check the weather before you go!
Learn more about the Indianapolis Zoo.
Family Fun Package
Guests who book this offer receive:
- Deluxe accommodations
- Complimentary brakfast for two adults and two children in 1913 Restaurant
- Two adults and two childrens tickets to either Indianapolis Zoo or Children's Museum
- Omni Kids Crew welcome gift
- Turndown service with milk and cookies
To learn more about availability and conditions, click here