The Shedd Aquarium is the largest indoor aquarium in the world and has been a part of Chicago since 1930. The aquarium is part of the "Museum Campus," which also contains the Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. The museum's location on the lake also boasts beautiful views of the Chicago skyline. The aquarium is home to more than 8,000 aquatic animals and visitors can take part in special experiences with these animals including Beluga encounters and shark feedings.
The aquarium attracts visitors of all ages and for many different purposes. Whether you’re a family looking for a fun and educational weekend activity, or a group of school children on a field trip, the aquarium has something to offer for everyone. The aquarium also invites educators and those seeking professional development or continuing education in their field of studies.
Things to Know Before You Go to the Chicago Aquarium
- The museum is popular year-round, but it is an especially popular location in the summer.
- Buying your tickets online and in advance is a great way to avoid the long wait lines and spend more time seeing your favorite sea friends.
- Visitors should also pre-plan what exhibits they want to focus on rather than rushing to try to see the whole aquarium. Also, planning what special shows you want to see and looking up showtimes in advance is a great way to plan out your day.
- The aquarium recently rescued a Sea Otter pup named Ellie who was abandoned at birth and found on a beach in California!
Learn more about the Shedd Aquarium.
Save on admission to Shedd Aquarium and other top attractions with the Chicago CityPASS. The pass grants discounted admission to Shedd Aquarium along with VIP entry to Waters of the World galleries, Amazon Rising, Wild Reef, Abbott Oceanarium, Polar Play Zone, Amphibians special exhibit and Stingray Touch, plus your choice of a 4-D Experience. You can also use the pass at The Field Museum, Skydeck Chicago and two other attractions of your choice!
American Girl Place Package
Guests who book this package receive:
- Welcome card at check-in for the girl
- American Girl doll-size travel bed(s) to take home (per doll)
- American Girl pajama set for dolls including slippers for the girl to keep
- American Girl book to read at bedtime
- Sugar and Sweet All-American candy display on night of arrival
- $60 USD food and beverage voucher for the Omni Chicago Hotel per day (Voucher valid through room service or in 676 Restaurant)
- Cookies and milk with turndown service on night of arrival
- Valet parking for one car per night
- Entry into the quarterly drawing to win an American Girl Doll (choice of doll not available)
To learn more about availability and conditions, click here