Regrettably, the historic Jefferson Pools are closed. We remain keenly aware of the need to address the preservation of the Jefferson Pools and continue to evaluate all options to ensure the long term viability of the springs. While a final scope of repair and timeline have not been established, we will share additional developments as they become available.
HISTORY OF THE POOLS AND SPRINGS
Local legends say that Native Americans journeying through the valley discovered these magnificent crystal springs hundreds of years ago, and archaeological evidence seems to confirm that this area has been used by humans for at least 9,000 years.
The first recorded survey of the area was done by Thomas and Andrew Lewis. Thomas Lewis and his son obtained 140 acres of the land, including the warm springs. Andrew Lewis was an early partner of Thomas Bullett, who procured 300 acres including the hot springs and built the first hotel in 1766 on the site of The Omni Homestead Resort.
The Gentlemen’s Pool House, the large, octagonal, white wooden building, along with the pool inside it, was built in 1761. The oldest spa structure in the U.S., it was intended for use by both ladies and gentlemen, although at separate, alternating times. The pool is similar in size and shape to the nearby mineral springs – about 120 feet in circumference with approximately 43,000 gallons of constantly flowing spring water. In 1836, the circular Ladies’ Pool House was constructed to give the ladies their own pool.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE WATER
The United States Geological Survey has determined that these springs have a remarkably uniform rate of flow and temperature. Unaffected by changes of the seasons, the waters remain at a natural body temperature all year and flow at the astounding rate of 1,700,000 gallons per day. The waters have an unusually high level of mineral content and are so crystal clear a book can easily be read through them.