Omni La Mansión Del Rio History
Sixteen years after the fall of the Alamo, in 1852, four brothers of the society of Mary arrived in San Antonio to establish a school. Construction of this building began immediately and opened its doors on March 1, 1853, to more than a hundred students. In fall of 1854, two additional brothers joined the faculty and by 1870, it was a well-proportioned structure of limestone, typically European in style.
The College Street campus grew and prospered as St Mary’s academy until 1924 and after that as St Mary’s College. From 1934-1966 the building housed St Mary’s University School of Law. Two former students purchased the property in 1966 and work began on a new hotel. In April 1968, La Mansion del Rio opened its doors as a luxury hotel, just in time for Hemisfair, San Antonio’s 1968 World Fair. Omni Hotels acquired La Mansion in 2006.
To learn more about the history of Omni La Mansión del Rio, we invite you to schedule a history tour of the property with our concierge.