Amelia Island Nature Center
Join one of our naturalists and explore Amelia Island, Florida’s natural wonders! Stop by the fully stocked retail shop, complete with top-of-the-line binoculars and field guides, to fulfill all your exploring needs. Or visit with our local rescued critters, chat with our naturalists, rent a fishing pole, or sign up for a tour or camp. Before you leave, be sure to build your very own Tanner the Turtle (resort mascot) doll at the Build-A-Turtle station!
(904) 321-5082; ext 5082 on property
Calendar of February Activities (PDF, 172 KB)
Calendar of March Activities (PDF, 182 KB)
HOURS OF OPERATION
Pre-registration is required for all tours. There is a cancellation fee of $25 within 12 hours of the program and full price for no calls or no shows. Please view the Nature Calendar link for detailed tour descriptions and more information. Don't see your tour scheduled? Contact a naturalist to schedule a private tour.
Ecology, Fishing and Discovery Tours
2019 Great Backyard Bird Count
The Nature Center at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort is hosting the Great Backyard Bird Count, February 15-19, 2019. Explore the property and beyond while viewing a variety of birds that call Amelia Island home.
Property tours begin each day of the weekend at 9 a.m.
Featured tours will be taking place at the following times:
-Feb 15 - Egan's Creek Birding – 3:00 p.m., 12 person max, $40
-Feb 16 – Ft. Clinch Birding – 3:00 p.m., 12 person max, $40
-Feb 17 - Talbot Island Bike and Bird – 3:00 p.m., 10 person max, $40
-Feb 18 – Sunset with the birds on Omni Amelia Island Plantation, 4:00 p.m., 10 person max, $35
Tours include: Binoculars, Passionate Nature Center Guide, field guides for identification and more!
Nature Center will also be offering a variety of birding crafts taking place on Saturday (2/16) and Sunday (2/17) at 2:30 p.m.
Open to the public, pre-registration is required: (904) 321-5082.
- Naturalist Kayak – Join a naturalist on a leisurely guided paddle through the salt marsh at sunrise.
- Nature Segway™ Tour – Explore the resort on a Segway™ through maritime forests and marsh boardwalks to learn about plants, animals and natural forces that shape our island.
- Paddleboard Experience – Paddle the water standing up!
- Eclipse Pedalboard Experience - Propel through the water on these new innovative boards!
*Kayaking introductory lesson provided. Minimum age is 8 years old. Ages 8–12 are required to paddle in a tandem with an adult; 13 years or older can paddle alone. Limited tandem kayaks available.
*Segway™ introductory lesson provided. Minimum age is 8 years old, minimum weight is 65 lb.
*Paddleboarding geared towards all skill levels with introductory paddle lesson. Minimum age is 10 years old.
*Eclipse Pedalboarding introductory lesson provided. Minimum age is 13 years old. Minimum 80 lbs. and up.
All children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Eco Bike Hike – Join our naturalists as they lead you on an exploration on the resort's bike paths. Bikes are included during tour, no trailing wheels or trailers.
- Birds of Amelia – Explore the diversity of species on Amelia Island. Whether an experienced birder or a novice, Amelia’s list of bird species is sure to entice you. Binoculars are included during tour.
- Marsh Walk – Enjoy a leisurely walk through various trails at Drummond Point Park.
- Ecology of Amelia - On this Island Hopper tour, visit the 3 ecosystems of a barrier island. Learn about the flora and fauna of the surrounding local area, from the sandy dunes and tidal salt marsh, to the lush forest of the plantation.
Omni Amelia Island Plantation's Red Maple Lake and Aury Island contain a variety of brim, bass and catfish. A license is not required to fish these private freshwater ponds while practicing a catch and release policy.
Walker's Landing and some of the brackish water lagoons off the marsh feature tarpon, redfish, trout, flounder and many more. A Florida fishing license is required to fish these areas. Please visit the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website to buy a license.
FISHING POLE RENTALS – NATURE CENTER
Conventional gear available for rent – $20 for 24-hour rental
1/2 lb. bag of frozen shrimp is available for purchase.
Rentals are for on-property guests only.
Fishing 201 - Experience the most common way of fishing in our freshwater ponds. Use conventional rods and reels to catch your favorite species on property. $20/person.
Bass Fishing - Fishing from the bank of Red Maple lake in search of the Florida largemouth bass. This two hour instructional class provides all the needed tackle and equipment required to put you on the fish!
Kayak Bass Fishing - Explore the expanse of Red Maple lake from a kayak and try your luck at catching largemouth bass. The two hour instructional class provides all the needed tackle and equipment. Get local knowledge of all the hot spots in the lake from your guide and find the best baits to them the fish biting. Paddle and safety instruction included.
*Rentals are for on-property guests only.
For more information contact the nature center at (904) 321-5082 or ext 5082 on property.
Family Discovery Series
- Crab Grab – Go crabbing with the naturalists the old fashioned way.
- Shark Tooth Discovery – Learn about different sharks while combing the beach for your own sharks’ teeth. Then craft your very own necklace to take home.
- Marine Mammals Discovery - Learn about the various marine mammals that inhabit our coastal ares and complete a fun booklet.
- Snake Discovery – Get up close and personal with the Nature Center’s most slithery residents.
- Fishing 101 – Enjoy a leisurely hour of freshwater fishing on the banks of Aury Island.*
- Sea Turtle Discovery – (tour only offered May–October) Discover the precious sea turtle and make a conservation bracelet.
- Junior Naturalist - Help a naturalist complete their duties. Feed animals, clean tanks and lead tours. Available with
pre-registration 24 hours in advance. $75/child.
*Rentals are for on-property guests only.