The state of Virginia is quickly becoming one of California's closest competitors when it comes to wine production. Viticulture is a way of life for so many who live in and around Charlottesville. The Monticello Wine Trail emphasizes the 30 wineries that have truly adapted to the Virginia climate and made delicious wine because of it. If Cabernet Franc and Viognier are your two favorite wines, you're in luck! Virginia specializes in each of these varietals. The Monticello Wine Trail, however, isn't only for devout wine drinkers. Each winery offers its own distinct tasting room, beautiful views, and snacks that make it a fun place to visit for the entire family.
Things to Know Before You Go to Shenandoah Valley Wineries
- Mondays and Tuesdays are popular days for wineries to be closed. Be sure to check their hours online or by phone before you make the trip.
- Some wineries waive the tasting fee if you make a bottle purchase, but typically you can expect each tasting to cost roughly $10 per person.
- The Monticello Wine Trail if fairly spread out. There are some wineries that are close to one another, but you shouldn't expect to be able to cover the whole trail in only one weekend. If you are traveling with pets, wineries are usually very pet friendly as long as they are on a leash.
- The Omni Charlottesville is right smack dab in the middle of the Monticello Wine Trail with a few wineries that are only a ten minute car ride away.
- Our location also provides you with easy access to all of the roadways that you'll need to take in order to get you to any of the thirty wineries. Our Concierge can provide you with a Monticello Wine Trail Map and help you to plan out which wineries you should visit and when.
- Our restaurant, The Pointe, serves some wine that is provided by local wineries who are a part of the Monticello Wine Trail, so you can taste what Virginia wine has to offer without ever leaving your room!
Learn more about the Monticello Wine Trail.
Private Behind-the-Scenes Wine Tour
Sit back and relax as your private vehicle takes you from our hotel to to each vineyard. You will see up to three vineyards on your tour with a trained wine expert as your guide. Based on the vineyard availability, you will have the opportunity to visit Keswick Vineyards, Jefferson Vineyards, Barboursville Vineyards, Blenheim Winery, Pollak Vineyards and Veritas Winery.
Book Your Tour
Sip and Savor Package
Guests who book this package receive:
- Luxurious accommodations
- Bottle of Rotunda Red Wine, from Lovingston Winery
- Decadent fruit and local cheese plate
- Turndown service per night
- With an additional charge, hotel Concierge will be able to arrange a wine tour (or any other tours); transportation can also be arranged (at an additional charge as well).
To learn more about availability and conditions, click here.