Lions, tigers, fish and more!
The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium is one of only six major zoo and aquarium combinations in the country. With 77 acres of park, the exhibits include more than 4,000 animals of 475 species, including 20 threatened or endangered species. The attraction address is One Wild Place, and it is for sure! The Pittsburgh Zoo opened on June 14, 1898. Like many zoos of the era, the Pittsburgh Zoo was more like a safari than a zoo. Over time, the animal exhibits eventually became more natural and shifted the focus to conservation efforts. The Pittsburgh Zoo is divided into themed areas, so you and your family can spend a whole day enjoying.
- The Kid's Kingdom has a reptile house and wildlife from Pennsylvania. The Kid's Kingdom also has interactive exhibits like the meerkat exhibit, where children can learn about how these animals live in their habitat.
- The PPG Aquarium is a two-story, 45,000 square feet aquarium with much to see.
- In the Asian Forest area, guests will learn about species from Eastern and Southeast Asia. There are even Komodo dragons.
- In the Tropical Forest, you'll see monkeys, apes, orangutans, sloths and more.
- Walking through the African Savanna is just like strolling along a river in Africa where lions, giraffes and elephants live. In the African Ravine, visitors can see rhinos live and in person.
- The Water's Edge looks just like a fishing village, and was constructed to illustrate the way humans and marine wildlife interact in coastal towns.
- The most recent endangered animals exhibit, The Islands, opened in June of 2015. You can explore among Philippine crocodiles, Galapagos tortoises and clouded leopards.
There is truly an exhibit for everyone at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Zoo is open 362 days a year, closing only on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
- For a list of current rates, visit the website.
- Parking is complimentary.
- The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium is located only 7 miles from the Omni William Penn Hotel.
Learn more about The Pittsburgh Zoo a& PPG Aquarium.
Escape and Save
Escape and enjoy 15% off best available rates at Omni William Penn Hotel.