Established in 1789, Georgetown University is a private academic and research institution; it is also the nation's oldest Jesuit Catholic university. Its faculty and staff draw upon 450 years of Jesuit education and belief to create a world-class learning experience that forms well-rounded students through exposure to different faiths, cultures and beliefs. Not only is the university known for its academics, but also for its athletics. The men's basketball team is especially well-known, given its status as 1984 national champion and key member of the original Big East Conference. Whether you're a parent, prospective student or just happen to be in Washington D.C., Georgetown University is a world-class institution worth visiting for its history, beautiful campus, sports teams and more.
- Motto: Utraque Unum (Both into One)
- The campus consists of 54 buildings on 104 acres
- School colors: blue and gray
- Nickname: The Hoyas
- Mascot: Jack the Bulldog
Things to Know Before You Visit Georgetown
- Address: 37th and O Streets, N.W., Washington D.C. 20057
- Located about 15 minutes from Omni Shoreham Hotel
- The university is accessible by public transit using Metrobus, Metrorail and the DC Circulator bus
- Prospective students can schedule a campus tour here
- Office hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (EST); Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (EST); closed most major holidays
Learn more about Georgetown University.
Georgetown Architecture Tour
Established 50 years before Washington D.C., Georgetown originated as a small Maryland port city on the banks of the Potomac River. Despite its gritty beginnings, Georgetown eventually came to have the most expensive and desirable property in the city. Home to palatial mansions, elegant cemeteries, stately churches, and the world-class Georgetown University, explore the highlights of DC's most fashionable neighborhood.
Book Your Tour
Stay, Park and Play Package
Guests who book this special offer receive:
- Luxurious accommodations
- Valet parking for one vehicle each night of your stay
- Daily Art of Breakfast Buffet per registered guest
To learn more about availability and conditions, CLICK HERE